The Slacker Returns....With a Fun Birthday Set!

So am I a slacker or what?

Before I share this project let me give you a timeline. We moved from Georgia to the Washington DC Metro area at the end of July 2013. My sweet baby had his first birthday in September of 2013. I made all the things in this post and 2 more yet to come in September. In November, I finally got around to taking decent pictures of them. In January I finally got off my lazy behind and edited those pictures. In March I uploaded them into draft posts for my blog. Today is Monday, April 7th. Yeah, it really took me six months to get this written up. But on to the crafty goodness....

First up I have this fun little project with a birthday cake topper and party hat for the Sweet Baby's first birthday.


Since I can't decorate a cake to save my life I wanted something special for his first birthday. I found the paper mache number at Hobby Lobby. The little hat I made using the Happy Birthday to You kit from SVG Cuts. The paper and embellishments are all from October Afternoon's Cake Walk line.....which I have been hoarding since before the baby was born. (Another note on that....I have TONS of this paper, and all the embellishments that go with it. TONS. I have a serious shopping problem when it comes to OA!)



And no, there are not pictures of the topper on the cake. Really, nobody except close family needs to see my horrendous frosting skills. But I did use candy to mimic the dots on the background paper on the number, so that's good, right?



I love my little puff ball at the top!





And since this did take me SO long to get posted, here is a picture of the Sweet Baby playing with his smash cake. Note the blue frosting. That was inspired by this picture on Pinterest. I didn't dare go that dark because I was afraid of him starting at his new daycare the next week with still-blue hands. And he refused to eat the cake, it's on his mouth because I tried to get him to take a bite.


And here he is at 18 months! Such a happy little guy!


I promise, my next post won't take me this long!

Supplies:

Cake Walk - October Afternoon
Tim Holtz Distress Ink
The Twinery Baker's Twine










Comments

Popular Posts