Coloring Card Tutorial for Cricut Design Space

Hi there!

Today I have another fun kids Valentine's craft project. Did you know you can DRAW any of your Cricut images using the Cricut Explore and Cricut Design Space? Well, I've done a quick photo tutorial for you on how to do just that! Below are my "cards" for my two nephews for Valentine's.



 The first thing I did was find a plain square from the images in Design Space. I used a square from Cricut Craft Room Basics.


Then I sized my square to a size that I can get multiple squares on one sheet of 12 x 12 cardstock, in this case 5.5 x 5.5.


Next I changed the color of my square. Since we are drawing you really can use whatever color cardstock you want. Because these are meant to be colored by my nephews I planned on using white cardstock so I changed it on my screen to match.


Next, we're going to pick the image we want to draw. For this tutorial I'm going to use Disney Pooh and Friends.


Once my image is added to my mat I'm going to position and size it.


Next, we will select each layer of the image and click on the layer under the Layers menu. Change the line type from Cut to Write. Do this for each layer.


And there he is! We have a perfect drawing of Winnie the Pooh that you can draw with your Explore. You can see from that Layers menu that I hid the first black layer. This is because it draws as an additional line around the outside of the image. This is not an issue on most other cartridges, just the Disney ones. If you have ever cut and paper pieced one of these images you'll know that there is a black layer that cuts the has little cut marks to help you line up all the little pieces and parts. That is layer I have hidden.


For my finished cards I scored each page 1/4" from the edge to make it easier to for the boys to open and color the different pages. I then stapled them together using my Tim Holtz Tiny Attacher. I covered the edge first with plain masking tape then with washi tape. The two layers of tape were for two reasons: First, to help hide and soften the staples, and second, to make the washi tape stand out more.


One of the pages inside. See how there is a second line around parts of Pluto? That's because I didn't hide the black layer like I did in my example above.


For the last page of the card I did a simple Print then Cut message.


Comments

Popular Posts