Sunday, September 18, 2011

Another Altered Matchbox

Hello!

I've been pretty productive this weekend but I'll spread it out over a few days so nobody gets overloaded!

First up is another altered matchbox. You may have seen my first altered matchbox here. This is for a fall swap over on the Cricut message board. (And hopefully my partner doesn't see it here before I get it mailed out!)


This is the same standard sized kitchen matchbox. I started by painting it black and covering it with green cardstock. I added the fall leaf paper matted on a reddish brown cardstock.




I added little feet to the bottom and some butterfly bling to the ends.

Inside the box are an assortment of goodies!



First up are some stickpins. The color scheme here was supposed to be reminiscent of candy corn but I couldn't find a really good yellow bead. So I had to use a so-so yellow bead - the of course does not look at all yellow in my pictures. (And I SO need to learn to take better pictures! Sometimes I get lucky and they turn out ok, sometimes not so much. I know part of it is my camera-which I guess when you consider I'm doing this with a point and shoot....maybe they aren't so bad!)


Next up are some little paper flowers. I made these using the Cricut and Walk In My Garden cartridge. I cut one of the basic flowers at varying sizes and layered them together. I cut them from Tim Holtz Kraft Glassine paper. This stuff is amazing. Once the layers for the flowers were cut I stamped them with a Tim Holtz Black Soot and Red Brick Distress Ink. I then heated them with my heat tool. (This is the cool part). When you stamp on the glassine paper and heat it, the paper absorbs the ink and pulls it under the waxy coating on the paper. It's very cool - and try as I might I can't find the Tim Holtz demo of this technique. And you can crumple and distress this to you heart's content. Which is basically what I did here.


Finally, I made a little charm. I used some silver elements and my partner's initial. It is attached to a little tag. On the tag is a leaf cut from the Kraft Glassine paper. This one I crumpled and then adhered to the tag. I then went over it with Red Brick Distress Ink. The ink penetrates the places where the paper breaks and gives it an amazing look.



Be sure and check back tomorrow - there are more projects coming!


Supplies:

Recollections Paper: Green, Brown, Leaf print
Tim Holtz Kraft Glassine Paper
Tim Holtz Distress Ink: Red Brick, Black Soot, Frayed Burlap

3 comments:

Carolyn/MamaC said...

Oh, my goodness! I am glad that I get to write the first comment! This is absolutely stunning! Everything about the project is just gorgeous! The box, the flowers, stickpins, tags...what a beautiful labor of love!
Carolyn
http://cccscraproom.blogspot.com

~ Lori ~ said...

That is beautiful!

jean said...

fancy frames wahoo!!!! I absolutly love your circus tent & copied the instructions thanks sooo much Jean heming