Graphic 45 Halloween in Wonderland Box

Hello!

I'm back with another Halloween project. I signed up for a vintage style Halloween box swap over on the Cricut message board. This is the box I made (there are more posts coming showcasing the stuff to fill the box). I loved it so much I had to make a second one (post for that coming later this week!).

I made this using Grapic 45 Halloween in Wonderland paper.


I started with a paper mache treasure box and painted it black. I then trimmer and adhered various papers from the Graphic 45 collection. I then sanded all the edges and sealed the box with Mod Podge.

The is one of the tags from the tag sheet found in the paper stack.

For one of the elements on the box I wanted to use the sheet of playing cards from the paper stack. I trimmed the cards and then, using my Ranger melting pot, dipped the cards in UTEE (Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel). This was my first time using UTEE - this stuff is phenomenal!


I was able to dip the cards, lay them on my heat resistant craft mat (a MUST if using the melting pot) until they cooled slightly. While they are still warm I was able to bend the cards into the shape I wanted. Once they cooled completely they hold that shape. If it's not quite right I can use my heat tool, warm them up again, and reshape them. Also, if the UTEE bubbled, didn't cover a spot, or was uneven, I can reheat it with my heat tool and smooth out the coating. Awesome!


On the front of the box is a border from the paper stack. I filled a Tim Holtz glass vial with black Martha Stewart beads and glued the cork in. I layers two small cardstock elements from the paper pack together, pierced them and tied them to the top of the bottle. I adhered this to the front of the box using hot glue.


On the other side I have another die cut from the paper stack that I glued inside a round pendant I found at Michaels in the jewelry section. I then poured UTEE into the pendant to fill up the frame and seam the die cut. Because of the way the UTEE set up (Totally a snafu on my part) it looks like the glass on the "watch" is cracked - which is perfect for a vintage style box.


On the back of the box is another border strip. You can also see how the cards on the top of the box are bent and shaped.


The inside of the box is covered as well. I used the want ads paper from the paper pack. I love this sheet-it's so interesting. I remember an old trunk when I was a child that had old newspapers lining the top of the trunk - that was my inspiration for this part of the box.



Be sure and check back tomorrow - I'll show you one of the items that is going inside this box to be sent off to my partner for this swap! It turned out really cute and goes back to something I learned when I was brand new to paper crafting!

Jen


Supplies:

Graphic 45 Halloween in Wonderland paper stack
Tim Holtz Distess Ink: Black Soot, Vintage Photo
Ranger Melting Pot
Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel
Tim Holtz Glass Vials
Martha Stewart Micro Beads: Black

Comments

Unknown said…
Wow, Jen! This box is sooo cool!

Popular Posts